When children are being tested, evaluated or assessed, they are often very nervous. It is hard to get their best performance while they are nervous- so this is the time to apply some CHILD WHISPERING! If you really want to know what they have learned and HOW they have learned you will need to watch and listen with your hearts as well as eyes and ears! There is always a sub-text and a CHILD WHISPERER takes the time to understand this!
- Reassure the child that you are just seeking info to help you teach more effectively.
- Watch their body language and help them to relax by chatting, getting down to their level (physically), and explaining the task calmly and clearly.
- After the test, ask them how they think they went.
- Make sure you let children know that all you expect is for them to give of their best!
- When you mark the test, make sure you use mistakes to find out exactly what types of miscues have been made and discuss these with children.
Children need to know that you will take the time to get to know them. They do not give up their learning secrets easily- it may take a long time so keep watching, waiting and gently probing. They are like precious pearls you need to move around to look closely and make sure they are growing well so they can be returned to the ocean!
TAKE THE TIME- YOUR PATIENCE MIGHT JUST BE THE ONE FACTOR THAT WILL SAVE THIS CHILD’S SELF-ESTEEM AND CHANGE THEIR FUTURE LIFE!
We will be discussing the specific strategies effective CHILD WHISPERERS can utilise to get a full picture of the child’s learning as part of our future course: HOW TO BECOME A CHILD WHISPERER in OCTOBER. Please email Ngo Chew Yeh email@example.com for course dates and info. This course will begin in February 2015 in Perth as well!